Friday, February 11, 2011

More than Just Status Updates

Several of my friends have really fantastic blogs that share insightful reflections and charming stories of their children. I've considered starting a blog of my own a few times, but I've been hesitant and unsure that I have more to say that what I can blurt out in a Facebook status update. So, I decided that I won't know whether or not it'll be worthwhile or not unless I give it a shot! Here goes!



Mike and I talked about doing a blog called The Baby Dorm when we thought we'd be stuck in our two-bedroom townhome with three babies. Their bedroom would become The Baby Dorm where we'd have to create a triple-high-bunk-crib to fit them all. Happily, we were able to rent out the townhome and rent ourselves a slightly larger place so we fit quite nicely. I liked the name though and often the noisiness, rowdiness, and smelliness of the kids' rooms reminds me of my two semesters at Landis Hall. The Baby Dorm seems to me to be an apt name.



How do bloggers get started? How do you guys pick topics? I should be better at this having taught English for eight years. Should I be doing a brainstorming chart of some kind and narrow down the topic by discussing it with my small group? Perhaps I'll just start with an expansion of a status update that hasn't yet made it to Facebook.



Tonight as we pulled into the Chick-Fil-A parking lot after listening to Laurie Berkner's "Going on a Hunt" for the 8 millionth time today (living further out means that we have even more time to hear the same CD's over and over and over...). I only mention the song playing because there had been no real conversation or musical stimulus to Celia's comment. It just makes me wonder what's going on in her head and how her thoughts grow. Out of nowhere, as I'm untangling her maracas clenched in her hands from the car seat straps, she says, "Nobody's perfect, except God. But everybody's special." She drips these little nuggets of truth now and again and just makes me melt. I proudly smile to myself and think, "Man, I'm doing something right. This kid is so in touch and wise. Being a stay-at-home mom has really made a difference for my children. Gosh, they're lucky to have me. Great genes and a nurturing environment. These kids are destined for greatness." My reverie is quickly interrupted by, "Mommy?" "Yes, my precious angel?" "Poopy poopy foofy!"

1 comment: