Thursday, February 17, 2011

Important Things I've Learned from my Marmee


I love my Marmee! She is an amazing woman, smart, caring, compassionate, comforting, funny, and faith-filled. Her recent and ongoing battle with lymphoma has reminded me just how strong she is, too. It's amazing to me how someone can tackle something like cancer with complete faith that God's got it handled. What a lesson for every one of us. If God's got that beast under control, then why can't I trust Him with much smaller gremlins? I'm inspired by her upbeat attitude and ability to smile through the whole process. The combination of the smile and the wigs make her the cutest thang that cancer center has ever seen. ;)

By the way, if you're wondering why I refer to my mom as Marmee, it stems from Little Women. The mother of the four strong young women is referred to as Marmee. She is a strong, brave woman, raising her daughters alone while her husband is at war, struggling to stretch the budget while still helping the poor and maintaining her grace and dignity. The term Marmee is a sign of respect and admiration. It's my hope that someday my kids will read the book and decide to nickname me Marmee, too.

Becoming a mom has had me reflecting on what I want my kids to learn from me and what I have learned from my parents. Here's a list of a few things that I've learned from my mother. There are thousands of lessons, but here is just a baker's dozen. And they keep on coming!

13. Keep it even and be fair. Count the jelly beans at Easter and keep it equal. Even if one kid doesn't eat jelly beans, you've been fair, and they can always trade.

12. Get a good case of the giggles every now and then.

11. When taking children on a road trip, stock up on paper dolls and ideas for 20 Questions.

10. Always have ingredients in the house for chocolate peanut butter oatmeal cookies. You never know when you'll have an emergency dessert situation.

9. You can always hem a pair of pants and most skirts. Don't let being short limit your shopping.

8. When you're going to your first boy-girl party and you're shopping for an outfit, don't look at the price tags.

7. A green vegetable should be served at every dinner.

6. Try lots of hobbies/sports/talents out but just do one at a time. Gymnastics or piano lessons but not both at once. A great lesson in balance and simplicity.

5. Write thank you notes when you receive a gift. Always.

4. Visit the elderly when they're alone. Check on people when they're sick. Call friends and don't look at the clock.

3. Old friends are the best friends, but nothing's more important than family.

2. Treat your parents well so that you have no regrets.

1. When mommies pray for their kids, their kids can feel it. God hears them more loudly than all the other prayers in the world.

1 comment: